CIHR’s eSubmission process for CIHR’s March 1 and September 15 Open Operating Grant competitions requires UBC Office of Research Services (ORS) to electronically approve applications via ResearchNet.
Note that this is a different process from that used for other CIHR funding competitions To view e-submission procedures for CIHR grants other than Operating Grants, visit the CIHR eSubmission Procedures page.
For the March 1,2013 CIHR Open Operating Grant applications, please note the following ORS procedures and timelines which have been developed to allow for a timely submission of UBC applications:
- A hard copy of the required documents (see #3 under E-Submission Procedures) must be submitted to ORS by Tuesday, 26 February, 2013 (ORS deadline). These documents will not be returned to you because ORS will approve your applications on ResearchNet.
- Your electronic application must be submitted via ResearchNet no later than Thursday, February 28, 2013 (this allows you to continue working on the scientific portion of your grant after you have submitted your paperwork to ORS up until you submit electronically through ResearchNet on February 28, 2013).
- If you cannot submit by February 28, 2013, ORS will accept your e-submission on ResearchNet up until 10 a.m. on Friday, March 1st, provided that:
- A copy of your required documents has already been submitted to ORS, and
- Your application is complete, including all required UBC signatures and co-applicant signatures (see #3 under E-Submission Procedures).
Should you submit after February 26, you will not receive a guarantee of administrative review from ORS which includes confirmation of application completeness and requisite signatures. This is an important step because, effective September 1, 2008, CIHR implemented a zero-tolerance policy for incomplete applications. To assist researchers in ensuring their applications are complete, ORS has identified some common errors made during the ResearchNet application process (#7 under E-Submission Procedures). To avoid system issues which may cause delay in the submission process on the deadline day, you are highly encouraged to submit prior to March 1st. ORS always makes best efforts to submit all applications on time and to facilitate support for our research community.
For information on how to use ResearchNet, refer to the “How to Apply” section of the funding opportunity and the relevant application checklist. CIHR has discontinued the use of Web Forms.
- Application preparation: The application must be prepared using ResearchNet.
- ResearchNet: The Nominated Principal Applicant must print and obtain signatures from other participants (i.e., other Principal Applicants, Co-Applicants, Knowledge Users, Supervisors, etc). In the “Institution Paid” field, it is critical that you select the UBC code, “CAAA”, from the dropdown list to ensure your application is routed to UBC ORS for approval. Do not type a response in this field or select another institution from the dropdown list, or else your application will not be routed to ORS for approval. For the “Location of Project” field, select the institution where the project will take place (e.g., VCHRI, BCCA).
The Nominated Principal Applicant (NPA) is no longer required to sign the application submitted through ResearchNet. By submitting the ResearchNet application to ORS, the NPA is abiding by CIHR’s “Meaning of Signatures” detailed in the Grants and Awards Guide.
- Understand and comply with any faculty-specific requirements or deadlines. Some faculties require a specific cover sheet (e.g. Faculty of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences). Otherwise, use the ORS Signature Form. Because CIHR has removed signature blocks for the Head and Dean from its application form, please ask your Head and Dean to sign only the faculty-specific cover sheet or ORS Signature Form. Dean’s signatures are not required on cover sheets for the Faculty of Applied Science, Faculty of Science and the School of Kinesiology.
If you are a co-applicant on a grant application initiated by a PI at another institution, you must submit a paper copy of the application with required UBC signatures for ORS review, even though the application is being submitted to the agency by another institution. ORS does not need to approve the application online but must still review a copy of the application.
Submit your required pages to ORS by the internal deadline which is typically three working days prior to the agency deadline (see #1 under Deadlines for specific dates). This ensures prompt review and approval for large competitions with many UBC applicants. You can fax, drop off or e-mail the pages to the appropriate ORS location. Note that these pages are retained at ORS and will not be returned to you. Please ensure you keep a copy for your records.
- Page 1 and 2 of the CIHR Application Detail sections (download from ResearchNet under “Preview Application Materials")
- CIHR Applicant Signature pages including:
CIHR Routing Slip
CIHR Applicant Signature pages - all signature areas must be signed, including non-UBC co-applicants
- Summary of Research Proposal page
- Budget modules and justification
- In the case of cooperative projects, any letters of support or commitment from collaborating companies or institutions.
- A signed ORS Signature Form or faculty-specific cover sheet (e.g., Medicine, Pharmaceutical Sciences).
Ensure you have collected ALL required internal signatures prior to submitting to ORS, and that the documents submitted to ORS are identical to your ResearchNet submission.
- Submit your ResearchNet application by the ORS deadline, which is typically three working days prior to the agency deadline. To do this, the Nominated Principal Applicant must upload the CIHR Routing Slip, all the SIGNED Signature Pages and a blank CIHR Institution signature page. Note that uploading the signature pages eliminates the need for mailing the hard copy signatures to CIHR by the CIHR deadline date. “Verify” to ensure the application is complete. At this point, you can also save your entire file as a pdf for your records (highly recommended). Then click “Submit” to submit application to ORS. Note that ORS cannot view or approve your application until you have submitted it online. At this point in the process, ResearchNet will email you a confirmation number.
CIHR will not follow up with PIs who submit an incomplete application; the application is simply withdrawn from the competition. For more information, review the CIHR Policy on Complete Applications.
Note that this step is different from other CIHR applications because, when you press "Submit", your application is routed to ORS first for final approval.
- ORS reviews your application and, if all requirements are met, approves it online. ORS has read-only access to your application and cannot make changes so, if it’s not approved, ORS will return it to you for changes. ORS is no longer required to physically sign the application submitted through ResearchNet because the institution is participating in the Electronic Approval Pilot Project. This means that, when ORS approves your application online and submits it to CIHR via ResearchNet, they (i.e. the Institution/Authorized Individual) are abiding by the “Meaning of Signatures” detailed in the Grants and Awards Guide.
Note that this step is different from other CIHR applications because ORS presses the final "Submit" to send your application to CIHR.
- Once ORS has approved & submitted your application, ResearchNet automatically forwards it to CIHR. You will receive an e-mail from ResearchNet confirming that CIHR has received your application. No changes can be made to your application once it has been submitted to CIHR.
- Common Errors on ResearchNet Submissions:
CIHR has introduced a zero-tolerance policy for incomplete applications. Effective September 1, 2008, applications submitted to CIHR that do not contain all of the necessary information as described within the Funding Opportunity description and corresponding application forms will be withdrawn from the competition process. Please visit "CIHR Policy on Complete Applications" and "CIHR Policy on Complete Applications - FAQ" at http://www.cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/36729.html.
- Attach Full CV module to the application. DO NOT attach Registration CV.
- The number of co-applicant CVs must match the number of co-applicant signatures on the signature page.
- Ensure all required signatures are on the signature pages of the application.
- Ensure the Routing Slip is attached.
- Ensure to use the acceptable application formats and attachments. Please visit http://www.cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/29300.html.